Saturday, January 26, 2008

Sandbox Memories




Once again I find myself scrolling through the thoughts and memories of our troops almost feeling like an intruder. I know I can never truly imagine what they are going through or have gone through, but these posts really bring the horrors home to me; whether they are the horrors of death and dying, of sending your children into war, or even of the horrifically ridiculous “care” packages. I am amazed at the talent that the troops use to voice their experiences, concerns, and thoughts.

HOPE IS NOT A METHOD
This was a heart touching post about a man returning from war, only to send his oldest son back into the horrors of Afghanistan. The soldier posting was incredibly proud of his son, yet obviously worried. His comments about the majority of America being unaware of or not truly understanding the horrors really made me think once again about how little I know about the war. I can’t say that I fully understand how hard it is to send a child into war, but I can try to imagine. This man knows for a fact that the statements “it’s not really that bad over there” or “he will be safe” are just a way for people to distance themselves and give what are supposed to be the “make you feel better statements.” He knows what it was really like; he knows the hell he is sending his son into.

LUCKY 7
I thought that this was an amazing post in that the soldier was able to come to terms with all that he had seen, done and experienced. This man was able to see that the people of Afghanistan are worthy of our help; that they are real people who have feelings, get hurt, cry, get sick, and die like we do. This soldier had the strength to overcome the prejudices and hate thrown so casually around. He had the strength to care for not only his own country and people, but also Afghanistan and its people. He was able to understand them, to feel their pain, and to sympathize with the people. His strength amazed me, all of the soldiers who are fighting for not only their own country, but another country as well humble me with their courage and strength.

"
THE GOLDEN RULES OF CARE PACKAGES
I found this post a nice refresher from the other, more somber posts that I have read. I think that this was a humorous way for the soldier to get across his feelings of frustration by making himself and others laugh. Most the soldier’s “list” made me laugh in sympathy, but I think that number 10 was a little harsh. No, people don’t understand what the soldiers are going through. They don’t understand the pain. They don’t understand the loss, but they are trying to and I think that that’s what should truly matter. However, some of the stuff people send to the troops is amazingly thoughtless. Once again I’m going to refer back to reading the letters for the “A Million Thanks To the Troops” project. We threw out so many goofy things. For example, an old used toothbrush, a tube of toothpaste that expired 10 years ago, half a roll of toilet paper, and an open stale box of cereal. I know people are trying to help, but the soldiers don’t need someone’s left over trash.

1 comment:

Worth Weller said...

nice comment about feeling like an intruder - all reading is actually rather "voyeuristic" in nature, and since milblogs are really diaries, it's like sneaking into your older sisters room and....

But, people blog because they do want an audience.