Sunday, February 24, 2008

Partiotism



Thinking back on 9/11 I remember the outrage and sudden outburst of patriotism and righteous anger. I asked myself, “Why do people not always show their patriotism, why only after tragedy?” After my mind stumbled over that question, I realized that I had to first define the word patriotism before I could answer my own question.

To me personally the word patriotic could mean a multitude of different definitions depending on the situation. When thinking of patriotism, loyalty is the first word that comes to my mind. The different meanings attached to this word abound. Not only can one be loyal to his country, but also his family, his friends, or anything else he loves. Loyalty and patriotism are synonymous in meaning, at least to me. Out of loyalty I would die for my family, out of loyalty I would fight for my country, and out of loyalty I would stand up for my friends. Love who you are and the country you live in. Accept the people of your country and fight for them. Stand up for those weaker than yourself and give of yourself freely. However, being patriotic does not mean loving only those who are LIKE you, it means accepting those who are different and defending them anyways.

I was browsing YouTube the other night and found this video poem about Patriotism. It is definitely interesting and worthwhile to check it out. It makes you think and would be interesting to discuss.

4 comments:

Worth Weller said...

yes - I think patriotism is like religion, it's good to have but you don't need to run around spouting off about it - words and flags aren't patriotism, only actions are, like voting, joining the military, working for the good of your community. etc.

Nichole Nelson said...

They are one in the same. Loyalty and patriotism. And I agree with what Mr. Weller has said; actions speak louder than words. If you are patriotic, do the general stuff, the expected stuff, for the good of others. Patriotism is NOT downgrading others because they are not "American" or running around dressed up in the American flag.

Narco-2 said...

its red white and blue...

KirstenF said...

Yes Zach... It is red white and blue... very observant.